Wednesday 25 January 2012

Handspun : Cider House


"Cider House"
Beautiful greens, browns and reds by Greenwood Fiberworks. Handpainted BFL roving.
235 yds/113 g



I am so happy. I wanted a 3 ply, worsted weight yarn. I separated the roving in 3 equal parts. I spun each part separately. I washed them, dried them, wound them into yarn cake.



And I started to ply. I was proud of myself, because as I was plying, my 3 threads looked the same, same thickness, not thick and thin. I was really confident. I wanted to use every last bit of the 3 singles. Moment of truth, at the end of the 3 cakes. And... to my delight, I had less than a yard left on 2 of the skeins! After washing the yarn another time and drying it, I calculated how many yards I had... you know what? It's a worsted. Now I feel like the sky is the limit.

13 comments:

Audry said...

That is gorgeous yarn. Something to be proud of. Now the question is, what are you going to make with it?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ariane said...

I don't know! I was thinking about a cowl or a hat... it has to be something special!

Evelyn said...

What a great success! I would love to try my hand at spinning especially after seeing what you've done. You definitely have to knit something special with this.

Tessalit said...

This is beautiful! Great combination of colors, and fantastic job on the spinning. I've just started spinning, too -- isn't it addicting?

Ariane said...

Thanks! I do keep it for something special. The right pattern always comes around! And yes, spinning is addicting! And not good for my wallet...

Alexandra said...

I love the yarn! It's so beautiful and congratulations on spinning exactly what you wanted!

Unknown said...

You are getting so good! I feel knowing how to make great yarn, makes you even better of a knitter.

Chantal Boucher said...

Wow tu es vraiment bonne ! Hâte de voir le résultat !

Julie said...

ooh, so beautiful!!! the colours are so rich and amazing.

Ellemme said...

I really can immagine how it can become addicting.. I'd really like to spin, but.. I've no time for it, or I should knit less, and I don't want to.. Well, we'll see, who knows, maybe one day.. Anyway, your handspun seems absolutely perfect! Congratulations! :)

craftivore said...

Lovely handspun! I have some BFL yarn waiting to be knit up next. I've never knit with it before and I'm really looking forward to it, can't wait to see how it behaves.

fallingstitches said...

I read all the other comments that you left, but I am trying a new widget that allows me to answer ALL your comments! Unfortunately, it seems that the old ones are lost... I have them all in my mailbox, but they are no longer on the blog! humpf...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...